The Tallinn leading line comprises of the front lighthouse, situated on the Lasnamägi Hill next to the Kadriorg Park and the rear lighthouse, which stands 1km away from the front beacon. Although beacon lights usually flash from sunset to sunrise, the Tallinn leading line lighthouses are among the few in Estonia which have to work 24/7.
The construction of the rear lighthouse (South Katharinenthal, Red) was planned already in 1832, due to constant complaints about the front beacon not being visible enough. First erected as a wooden framework structure in 1835, it was replaced by a 40m limestone tower in 1896. By then, the complex also had a staff house and warehouses, which were repaired at the same time. The new lighthouse acquired a Fresnel device purchased from Sautter Harle & Co in Paris, which is still in use today. Although the lighthouse suffered small damages in World War II, the whole complex has preserved quite well and is listed as an architectural monument.
Tallinn rear lighthouse and a dwelling from the ensemble ca 1900. Estonian Maritime Museum’s collections.