The lighthouse is located on the west coast of Estonia on the Sõmer peninsula and helps to orientate in the northern part of the Livonian Gulf.
A temporary 12 m high wooden fire tank was built in 1941.
The eight-sided concrete 20 m high white lighthouse was built in 1954. An automatic acetylene lantern was installed in the small lantern room. The circular sector lantern light had a visibility distance of 10 miles. The nature of the fire in 1955 was the same as today. By 1994, visibility had been increased to 15 miles. Today, the lighting devices work on solar-wind energy and are equipped with the E827.W-LB LED lamp. In 2001, the visibility distance of the light was reduced to 9 miles.